Sunday 15 December 2013

Mud, dragon races, lady rowers etc


I have arrived in Henley and learning all about this fantastic town.

I cannot put any pictures taken a day or so ago due to not being able to find the usb lead for my mobile phone.

Today, Sunday my wife and I went to the local rugby ground and crossed the exceptionally boggy pathway, there were literally hundreds of boys and teenagers playing Rugby.  Due to the rain the field was exceptionally boggy.  However everyone seemed to be having a good time. Standing by were some paramedics, prevented from entering the field by a locked gate.  Here are some pictures of the action we saw.



When we left the field we moved towards the lovely River Thames, but the rain started, hence the grainy pictures in parts.

My wife fed the Canadian Geese that were swimming past, but the naughty Seagulls (Terns I think) stole nearly every morsel of food.




I had become aware of some drumming in the distance which resembled bongo drums.  Then suddenly a large number of rowing boats showed up  - a dragon boat race.  Very impressive with someone at the front banging a large drum to set the rhythm for the rowers,  One set of boats was being propelled by a group dressed in Santa outfits!




We also saw some lovely riverside views in the light rain, plus some people rowing. I am amazed at the large quantity of lady rowers seen this our first weekend here, both today and Saturday.





If you have any information to add to this brief post - please send in comments and I will consider these for inclusion, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment